[TR] The time has come... TR3 back from Body Shop

Michael Lang mlang99 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 5 10:56:25 MDT 2009

Let me start by saying that I have only ever painted three cars in my
life time.

I have used an old (but high quality) suction style high pressure gun on
previous cars. This time around, I bought a new DeVilbiss FinishLine gun
that is a gravity HVLP design. I cost me about $90 last summer at my
local paint supply house. They were running a special at the time. What
a difference from the old gun. There was a dramatic change in the amount
of paint that went on to the car verses spread all over inside of the shop.

The gun came with three nozzles. I think they were 1.0, 1.3, and 1.8 but
my memory may be a bit off. I used the 1.8 for the epoxy primer and the
1.3 for the acrylic enamel. I went with the acrylic enamel due to the
health concerns that I have heard about the more modern paints.

As far as gravity feed VS suction, either the gun hits things from
above, or below while your working. It is easier to check and fill the
gravity feed gun, and you can spray until it is completely empty.

Hope this helps.

Mike