[TR] TR3 Rear Apron & Bumperette mounting

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Jan 31 08:43:54 MST 2009

> Starting to put the repaired body back together in prep for
> the final coats of paint and I am just now coming to the
> realization that the long tubes/bushings that the rear
> bumperette bracket bolts go through are probably permanently
> attached to the rear apron.

Bill, To echo what others said, I believe they should be loose.  All of mine
have been.  The SPC describes them as "602001 tube, distance, fitted in rear
body panel"; but if they were welded, I think they would be described as
part of the panel (like the cage nuts).

I happen to have a couple handy, they are 4-1/8" long.

If they don't protrude slightly, the bumper brackets will hit the body.  Not
necessarily a bad thing, but they didn't touch on any of my cars.  I'd guess
somewhere between 1/4" and 1/2" would be about right.  Might be worth a
trial fitting, as the wrong length will tilt the bumperettes.  The SPC also
shows a flat washer between the bumper bracket and the tube, but my cars
didn't have them.  Quite possibly left off by previous owners/mechanics,
tho.

Randall