[TR] emission standards?

Joe Curry spitlist at cox.net
Wed Jan 28 16:35:34 MST 2009

Of Course, You are talking about California where nothing is to be
unexpected.

The literal Latin translation of ex post facto is "After the Fact", which
means in legal terms that no laws can be written to make something illegal
after the fact.   It is mostly applied to personal crimes but I would be
willing to bet that a good lawyer can put up a good argument that it also
applies to automobiles.

That said, politicians like to hear themselves talk and often select older
cars as a good way to cut down on pollution.  Their main points are very
hollow when you get down to brass tacks because most of the older cars fall
into two categories, Junkers and collectors.  The junkers are the ones
emitting a lot of pollution but will ultimately obsolete themselves by
completely falling apart.

The collectors will be properly maintained (for the most part) and not be a
significant contributor to pollution even though they may not meet modern
pollution standards because they are not driven all that much.

Joe