[TR] My TR6 Hit Last Wednesday

Marty marty.tr6 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 12:09:16 MST 2009

A young lady pulled out of a parking lot and right into the passenger side
of my TR6 Wednesday while I was driving down the road. No one was hurt. The
car will now have an official "blemish" on Carfax. Anyone have any luck on
being compensated for the reduced value of their car? If so how did you
deterning the amount?

She caught the me just at the back of the passenger door depressing it in
and leaving a crease and the rear quarter panel is destroyed. Pulled it into
the rear wheel well starting at right behind the door and up to the wheel
well. It put a 2" hole in the tire and putting a small dent in the rim right
at where the tire seals against it. I had to bend the fender out of the way
to remove it from the tire and make space to get the spare on. The passenger
door is now rubbing on the post when you open and close it, the gap at the
front of the door is now closed some at the bottom of the door, I've got the
steering wheel turned 1/8 of a turn to the right to keep the car strait and
on the way home on the freeway the car floated all over the lane I was in at
60 MPH. The police officer was very professional, he even offer to give me a
lift with my under inflated spare to a gas station to fill it with air and
bring me back to the car but it ended up to have enough air to get me the
1/4 block to an air compressor. When it was time to leave I need to make a
left turn from the right lane to get to the gas station I had just passed so
he pulled his cruiser out into the street and stopped traffic so I could
safely make the left turn.

I had looked at her car while I was approach the drive she was coming out of
and she was at a complete stop. After I got almost even with her she pulled
out and right into me. I am thankful she gave me a little time before trying
to converse with me other than "Are you alright" and "I'll call the police".
I know she could could tell how upset I was. She later told me she has a 66
Chevelle and would be very upset if someone hit her 66 like she had just
done to me. I did calm down after a minute or two and even managed to
inquire about her and her dog's well being. Her car was leaking a little
fluid so I popped the hood made sure the radiator was OK and showed her that
is was only the windshield washer fluid that was dripping, even helped her
gather up the front end parts of her car that were scattered all over. She
balked a little when I was going to fold her front bumper in half to fit in
her trunk until she realized it was trash anyway and I wasn't hurting it any
more than it already was.

Put the car up on jack stands yesterday and got under the car. The only
damage I can see under the car is the outside trailing arm bracket is now U
shaped but the frame where it's attached looks OK. Explains at least some of
the alignment issues. Now waiting for the adjuster to call and make an
appointment to come to the house as I refused to drive it to their
center. She has Allstate insurance.

Marty Clark
Gilbert, AZ
1974 TR6 CF17352U