[TR] Aluminum Oil galley plugs

Tony Drews tony at tonydrews.com
Thu Jan 22 08:25:53 MST 2009

One approach is to re-tap the holes with a pipe thread tap and use
brass plugs in place of the aluminum ones.  Here's a couple of posts
from me on the subject last year:

There's a pipe thread that's close to what's in the block
originally.  Re-tap them with this, and put brass pipe thread plugs
with allen head ends.  Just tap it deep enough that at least the
front plug doesn't interfere with the front plate.  Also, if you go
too deep with the front plug, make sure you don't block the feed to
the front main - I had to grind a bevel on the backside of mine since
I got a little overzealous with the tap.  I shove some paper towel
down the gallery before tapping so as little crap as possible gets in
the gallery, and then I clean it out very well before
assembly.  Works best on a bare block that you can clean all passages
thoroughly after tapping.

- Tony Drews

and

The tap and plugs are 1/2"-14 NPT.