[TR] MIG welders

Gary Nafziger nafzigerg at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 20 22:19:34 MST 2009

Boy do i identify with you!  I bought a Hobart 135............plugs into 110.
I had the same problem.  Burn through was so easy I really got down on
myself.  But discovered that practice practice practice was the most
important.  After 6 months I'm still not completely happy with my welds but
they are acceptable.  I DO NOT weld anything but spot welds and that seems to
be the acceptable way to weld on 18 or 20 guage.  Most all of my welding so
far has been on the inner tub of a tr-3 so it will not show.  Hopefully after
all this welding on inner stuff i'll be able to weld outer body panels that
show in an acceptable way.  Another issue is cleanliness of the metal.  I'm
still getting "blow outs" or burn throughs when i weld new metal to old.  I
try to clean up the old metal as much as possible before welding new to it but
at times can't get it completely clean and this results in burn through.
sooo hang in there fergie.  For me it takes time and practice............!!
gary n.