[TR] Steering box rebuild om 3A

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Jan 7 17:39:38 MST 2009

> Also have
> a fair amount of free play in the wheel, ie...the 11 and 1 movement but
> the
> car still goes straight.

That is certainly another symptom, but it could also be caused by some DPO
not knowing how to adjust the box.  And you might be able to solve it by
just replacing the peg rather than doing a complete rebuild.

Although, once you've got the box out of the car, and the Pitman arm out of
the box, you might as well change the bushing and seal anyway.  That only
leaves replacing the worm and bearings for a full rebuild; but they were
effectively unobtanium when I did TS39781LO.  TRF seems to have them listed
now, but at those prices I might still be tempted to keep the old ones.

Note that the tight spot should correspond to straight-ahead.  The design
intentionally provides for a certain amount of slop when the box is
off-center.

Randall