[TR] TR3A Control Head Installation

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Jan 4 11:12:46 MST 2009

Scott,

> What I am having difficulty with is setting the
> grub screws so that when I turn the steering wheel the
> control head stays in position.

The grub screws at the steering wheel don't keep the head from turning;
rather they lock the canceling mechanism to the steering wheel so it always
turns.  The head is held stationary only by the stator tube and the
gland/nut at the front of the steering box.

> or are they supposed to be in front of the plate, so it
> presses the plate against the back of the groove that the plate fits into?

Those screws should be pointed, the points ride in front of the plate, so
it's trapped between the screws and steering wheel.

The way I do it is to leave the gland loose and pull the stator tube up at
first, so I can ensure that the slots are properly engaged.  Put the
steering wheel straight ahead, and turn the canceling mechanism so the lever
is down.  Then push the control head into place in the wheel, which will
also push the stator tube through the gland.  Tighten the grub screws
without turning anything, then turn the control head to center the lever and
tighten the gland.

If the control head wants to turn while you are tightening the gland nut,
you may need to remove the nut and smear a little grease over the exposed
end of the gland so it will slide on the nut instead of against the steering
box.

Randall