[TR] Red Lock-Tite

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Feb 28 10:15:34 MST 2009

> Sometimes after toquing a component,
> you're supposed to check & re-torque after driving XXX miles.
> I'd usually do that by putting my torque wrench on the car
> and tightening it again.

To get an accurate reading, you need to actually loosen the fastener
slightly first, and then retorque it.  The torque reading needs to be taken
while it's moving as the threads will stick together once they stop moving.

> If it has loosened and moves, does
> that wreck the effectiveness of the thread locking compound?

For common Loctite, yes.  It should not be used in places that require
periodic retensioning (like head nuts).  The retensioning is not because the
nut moves; but rather because the head gasket tends to become more
compressed over time.

Randall