[TR] New distributor cap bad?

Jeff Scarbrough fishplate at charter.net
Sat Feb 21 08:21:38 MST 2009

At 12:17 AM 2/21/2009, Randall wrote:
> > Voltage is
> > only a measure of electrical potential relative to some
> > arbitrary fixed point.  As such, it doesn't "go" in any sense
> > of the word that I know of.  It only "is".
>
>Merriam-Webster defines the verb "go" as
>
>2. To move out of, or away from a place.

Neither Merriam nor Webster were Engineers.  Potential  is
static.  When it goes, it's translated into kinetic.  Voltage is
potential - static, not kinetic.

>If you start with two Leyden jars, one charged and one not charged, then
>touch them together, I maintain that, according to the Merriam definition,
>part of the voltage "goes" from one to the other.

If you multiply 2 times 0.5, where does the 2 go?

>Would you also claim that an email cannot "go" because it gets translated to
>some other form while it's being transported?

No, because the electrons flow from the recipient to the sender.  But
the potential of an email is high when it is sent, but usually low
when it is received.

Jeff Scarbrough
Galvanic Activity, Ga.