[TR] TR4 Filter

pbrandsema at triad.rr.com pbrandsema at triad.rr.com
Sat Feb 14 08:22:24 MST 2009

I've received a lot of replies regarding what filters are being used for the TR4.  Thanks to everyone.  It has also seemed to spark a debate over fiter quality and testing.  I always reading those.  Anyway, it seems as if I may have misinterpreted the information regarding the need for a filter with an internal relief valve.  For those of you with TR6 and TR250, this may ring a bell with you.  I went back to the site today.  In my haste yesterday I failed to notice the article was for these cars, not the TR4.  http://www.vtr.org/maintain/tr6-spinon.shtml    DUH!!!

However, the info I received on filters was great.  I think I'm going to go with the NAPA 1516, since that is supposed to be the same as a WIX, and is readily available.  Personally, I've been using FRAMS in my other vehicles (Fords, Isuzus, Mitsubishi, Chevy) for years and have not had problems.  Replace filter with oil every 3K miles..

I also received a recommendation to remove the filter head from the block and clean along with the relief valve.  I had replaced the spring and ball a couple of years ago, but didn't make a difference.

Thanks,
Paul