[TR] transmission rebuild

Allen Hess allenhess at mgcarclub.com
Thu Feb 12 07:38:11 MST 2009

>   Matter of fact if i remember right the gears as well as
> thrust washers in the lower area of the transmission all lay in there
> loose.......as you shove the shaft through the casing adn through the
> gears..........this is rather blind because you already have to
> have the upper
> shaft and gears installed which covers up the lower gears.
> unbelievably it
> did work.

The last time I did this I placed the bell housing face down on the
bench and overhanging the edge enough to reach inside. The beauty is
that when you place the thrust washers and lay gear inside and align
the bores, they just sit there. Easy to measure the end float. For
final assembly the bell housing will have to be on a couple of small
blocks because the input shaft protrudes. Again it's pretty easy to
align the lay gear and install the shaft because the stay where you
put them.

Allen