[TR] Great rides

Bill & AnnaBelle anabil007 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 5 11:24:34 MST 2009

Our most enjoyable trip ... anywhere  ... was one we took on our way
to St. Joseph, MO to celebrate my 50th birthday (been a few years
ago).  From Jackson, CA we took Hiway 88 to Hiway 50 (loneliest Hiway
in the world) to  Ely, NV (overnight) then on  to Eureka,  UT, from
there  we had to get  on a freeway for a  short time ...  terrifying
... then H 89 to Jackson, WY, from there we followed 26, which more
or  less mimics the Oregon Trail early settlers used. Had to get back
on a short stretch  of freeway at Ogallala, then  South on 83  to 36
East to St. Joesph.  BTW if you ever go through St Joseph, find  the
Patee House Museum, then drive the Parkway system ... awesome.
For  our return trip we took 169 South to 60 West (bypassing OK
city) picked up 64 West, the 54 SW to Tucumcari to Santa Fe (again
following more or less the settlers trail) 44/550 North where we had
to take I70 West  (not too bad some pretty country) then I 15 South
till we could get 21 NW back on to  50 W  ... finally back to 88 and
Jackson, CA.
We had no schedule, took over a month.  Stopped at little  towns
along the way for picnic  lunches in the  town square (most  all  had
one).
Best  thing about this sort of trip is the  roads were all very good,
but no freeways, therefore  almost  NO trucks,  minimum Cops and
wonderful places to see.
--
"Thinking is the hardest work there is. That's why so few people
undertake it." - Henry Ford

Bill Pugh
anabil007@ comcast.net
Wallace,  CA