[TR] FS: 1954 TR2 project (Seattle)

Mark Gendron trlist01 at canleyworks.com
Tue Feb 3 11:01:54 MST 2009

TS 2571 L0 is looking for a new home. She is a 1954 "long-door" TR2, and I
have owned her since the early 1980's. I hoped to complete this project
myself one day, but my new family needs my attention and the extra storage
space.

I began work on this car when I first acquired it. The chassis has been
sandblasted and sprayed in black Rustoleum, and is complete and rolling with
a Girling rear axle. The engine was disassembled and rebuilt with new rings
and bearings, using the original pistons and liners. The engine runs, but
the car has not been a driver since then so there has been no break-in
period. The engine has a TR3 block, with the original early-type "low-port"
cylinder head and manifolds.

The gearbox was rebuilt with new bearings and syncros, and a good used 1st
gear shaft. An A-type overdrive was added as part of the rebuild. The
overdrive was also rebuilt with new bearings and thrust washers. It appears
to function correctly, but again, it has not been tested on a working
vehicle.

The body is in two pieces, with the front and rear sections having been
separated from the badly-deteriorated door sills. Significant metalwork will
be needed to complete this project. All panels are included, including all
new rear closing panels, new trunk floor and sides, new rear apron, new door
sills, and patch panels for the front fenders. An extra front apron is also
included. I had the body dipped in 1986 to remove the old paint and fillers.
The tub was sprayed with a PPG epoxy primer, but has not been painted.

Original-style TR2 seat pans are provided, although the seat bottom springs
are missing.

Many new parts are provided with this project--indeed, most if not all
significant parts to complete this project are included. Among the
highlights:

- Complete tan interior, including all panels, original-style wool carpet
set, and seat covers with leather facings as original.
- Robbins top, tan (single window, as original for TR2.)
- Robbins tonneau cover, tan.
- New boot cover, tan, in Robbins material.
- Original-type side curtains (fixed windows), frames sandblasted and
powdercoated BRG, recovered in Robbins tan material to match top and
tonneau. These are probably the loveliest side curtains you will ever see
for an early Triumph!
- NOS Stanpart front bumper bar.
- Good used steel hardtop (not original to this car, but it sure would look
nice!)
- Original SU carbs with throttle shafts rebushed and replaced by the late
Bob Schaller.
- Reproduction original-type luggage rack (attaches to trunk hinge pins.)
- Brake master cylinder bored and re-sleeved in brass by White Post
Restorations.

I will also include all of my TR2 ephemera. Some highlights:

- 1954 Road & Track (July, I believe) with the original TR2 road test.
- Original TR2 shop manual (early version without the TR2 supplement.)
- Original TR2 factory parts book.

The early "long-door" TR2 is a rare and much sought-after British sports
car. I am looking for offers around $5k on this project.

Thank you
-Mark Gendron