[TR] TR3A Electrical Gremlins

Scott Suhring suhringtr36 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 1 06:55:02 MST 2009

I am sorting through the electrical problems with my 59 TR3A restoration. I
have the ignition switch working now, the starter push button and the rear
lights all work. My problem seems to be with the wires/circuit coming off
the ignition switch. Basically, none of the electricals work that draw its
power from the ignition being turned on.  I am going to try running a wire
from the multi-ground post that is on the instrument center dash to a good
ground since this could be the problem. The center dash is powder coated and
I may not have a good metal to metal ground point to the chassis.

My bigger concern right now is that when I turn on the ignition switch, the
"hot" wire gets hot to the point that you can smell the plastic wire coating
and it is getting soft. I draw the power from the Brown/Blue wire that comes
from the harness to the side light switch (this is a continuous power since
the lights come on even when the ignition switch is not turned on). The
brown/blue wire seems to be about a 20 gauge wire and I am using a 16 gauge
wire to connect to the switch, which I thought did not matter per a previous
post.  Any ideas on why this wire is getting so hot and what I need to do to
correct it?  TIA

Scott Suhring
Mechanicsburg, PA
'70 TR6