[TR] Removing Head Studs

Bud Rolofson levilevi at comcast.net
Wed Dec 23 17:20:06 MST 2009

Roger,

Buy a stud remover like this one http://www.toolsource.com/stud-remover-32526-p-63350.html
  (it works with a notched steel cam that grabs the stud and is turned
with a 1/2 inch socket wrench) or rent or borrow one from one of the
parts stores.   Those studs don't stand a chance when you put this
tool to work.  Also its great for installing your studs to the block
using with all the same torque settings (didn't take much--- 4 ft/lbs
I believe ARP recommended).

I did the ARP studs when I rebuilt my head (1969 TR6 Circle B head
that measures 3.461 inches) and am very happy with them although it
getting at least one or two threads (the tapered threads) showing when
the nuts were put on and torqued down was worrisome but it did
happen.  You have to use their washers (0.118 inches) and that almost
was too much stuff to fit on the stud and get the nut on with all
threads holding to other threads securely  (the top couple threads are
a bit tapered and are "guides" not holding threads).   The payen head
gasket (AG900 for you TR6 folks) was 0.045 inches so it was real
close.  I wouldn't leave one old stud in the head and the rest ARPs.
Seems like inviting trouble (oil and water leaks) to me.  ARP is real
specific about using their lube and their washers and torqueing them
into the block correctly so that tells me the details are important.
Maybe better to use stock studs all around if you can't get the last
one out.

Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
66TR4A CTC57806 (The Wreck-Almost parts)
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle)
Z-50A Hardly Davidson 1977 Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)
levilevi at comcast.net