[TR] TR3 with a TR3A transmission tunnel

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Wed Dec 16 05:29:21 MST 2009

In a message dated 12/15/2009 10:33:44 PM Central Standard Time,
mlang99 at comcast.net writes:
> I decided it was time to check the gear oil in my transmission and
> discovered that I installed a
> TR3A transmission tunnel (without the dipstick access hole) on my 56
> TR3. I knew about the dipstick, but didn't think to check for an access
> hole when I picked the best tunnel to cleanup and paint. Is there any
> tricky way of checking/adding gear oil to the early transmissions
> without access to the dipstick? If not, I guess adding a hole for the
> dipstick will make a good project for one of these wet rainy Saturdays.

There is a possibility.  The transmission on my 57 does not have the bung
drilled into the side of the case that is typical of the later transmissions
but if you (or the PO) did a little mix - n - match you might have a case
with the bung.  Otherwise, you are probably into a transmission cover-ectomy.
It should be easy to add an access hole to your now painted cover.  All you
need is a hole saw.

That reminds me of a story (urban myth?) I heard many years ago about the
very first MGA's that came off the line.  The engine used was from another
application and the sump drain hole was directly over the cross member on the
MGA and it was impossible to change the oil.  New, modified sumps were
fitted from that point on.

Believe it or don't, your choice.

Good luck.

Dave