[TR] Revs and oil

wbeech at flash.net wbeech at flash.net
Tue Dec 15 21:49:51 MST 2009

John,
Been there, done that, with my fresh re-build this year.  Got it all back
together as far as drivability then decided to put a few miles, 500, on it
leaving all the interior finish-out until winter. (Why do all the pretty
stuff if some disaster causes you to endanger the leather & wool!?)

Well, I am glad I took the ShakeDown period approach as I was leaving large
oil puddles wherever I went.  After looking at everything at the rear of the
engine, even finding and repairing a leak in the oil pressure gauge
line(false hope) the majority consensus of the list was the engine had to
come out.

Be sure you have looked at everything very closely in the back of the motor,
Valve cover, Oil line, Rear oil galley plug..etc.  The last thing I did
before making the decision was to remove the inspection cover and get it up
on a lift with the motor running and everything sprayed very clean and watch
to see where the leak was.  No sign of a leak until we lowered the car and
revved the engine for a few minutes, then it all became evident.

Here's hoping you find a simple problem.

All the best,
Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR-3A TS/30766 L (On the road in 2009!)