[TR] Windshield tenax fastener fixing..

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Sat Dec 12 06:46:16 MST 2009

On Saturday 12 December 2009 02:16:28 am David Ljung Madison wrote:
> I've lost most of the tenax fastening 'pegs' from the right side of
> my windshield because they've all gotten stripped (I think once one of
> them left, it put too much stress on the remaining pegs).
>
> I've thought about opening up the windshield and using the tenax pegs
> that use nuts to hold them in place, but I'm having quite a time opening
> up the windshield.  So before I pursue it further, (i.e., take it to a
> windshield shop to see how they'd crack it open), does anyone know if
> the backs of the pegs are accessible, or are they closed off?  (i.e.,
> can I get a nut on the back of one)
>
> And any other suggestions?  I've thought about just dumping some epoxy
> or JB Weld in there to screw into, but I'm worried that it will make
> it impossible to repair the windshield in the future.
>
> Dave

Dave,

I had the left-most peg get stripped on my 3 and even though I had a new one,
it would not catch since the threads in the frame are too thin.

So I tried some JB Weld and so far it is holding up just fine.

I had the top off a few times last summer and the peg seems to be holding up.

I dont think there would be space for a nut as it would most likely prevent
the glass from seating correctly.

All I did was coat the peg threads in some JB Weld and placed it in the hole.
Added a light clamping so not to crush the glass to hold the peg in place
while the glue set. I used a liberal amount of glue and some did flow around
the peg but I think that helps hold the peg to the frame.

Make sure you clean the area and peg as best you can first.

Bob