[TR] TR3A Fan extention housing and bolt removal

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Tue Dec 1 15:49:00 MST 2009

On Tuesday 01 December 2009 01:44:02 pm amcewen2 at cogeco.ca wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm trying to remove timing cover and I'm stuck on the fan extension, the
>  fan is off and the bolts at the back of the extension are loose, the two
>  peice pulley is loose, but the extension is rock solid.
>
> What does the long bolt through the centre of the extension bolt to, the
>  pulley housing or the crankshaft?   I'm guessing the crankshaft.
>
> If it's the latter, what sort of tool do I use to take that bolt out as it
>  has the oddball surface used by the hand crank instead of a normal bolt
>  head?  I'm also guessing it will likely require enough force that the
>  engine will just turn over.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Art.

Art,

Yes that bolt needs to be removed in order to remove the fan extension and the
pulley assembly.

Cant remember the socket size but I used a 6 point impact socket with impact
wrench and it just spins right off. You may be able to get it with a breaker
bar but someone will have to apply the breaks. But that might not work if the
bolt is tight enough and they usually are!

Just make sure you use short bursts of the impact and use a 6 point socket.

Bob