[TR] zenith or su's ?

Wayne Lee wayne at motorcarriage.com
Tue Dec 1 09:49:27 MST 2009

I'm always aware of the "Point of View" element. That's what opens the door
to these ill perceptions.
An Increased Spring Rate will make any specific Needle run richer across the
whole spectrum. No Exceptions!

  Another common reason for this particular Conversion resulting in too rich
conditions is making sure the fuel Bowls are
the correct ones designed for the Spit and MGC. (AUD 2140) Just because you
get Fuel Bowls that put them vertical
doesn't matter, if You use the taller (AUC 1310) it will result in overly
rich conditions because of Fuel levels in the Bowls
that can't be corrected by Float level.

  If You are running the Stock Springs from a Donor Carb they will have most
likely at least the "Red Spring" 4.5 oz
The Blue Spring(the lightest from the Midgets and spits at 2.5 oz wouldn't
kikely be on HS6's. You don't get into the Yellow
or Green Spring Rates 11 and 15 oz respectively until You get into Healey
territory which requires a richer mixture.
 You don't want to compensate for bad Needles with Springs. The Needle
Profile or what Jim called "calibrated" is the
most important part. Sort the Car out on the road using the Volvo Needle
then see where you are rich. At idle or popping on the Highway.
Then take it from there. The Springs should be your last concern.
Wayne