[TR] TR2/3 ball joint installation problems

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Aug 30 13:10:16 MDT 2009

> btw, i bought lower trunnions from
> a supplier and
> find them incredibly stiff.B  it almost feels as though the
> thead inside is
> wrong.B  anyone else have this problem?

I have seen it; caused by the threads on the vertical link being distorted.
Turned fine in the old, worn out trunnion, but bound up in the new one.

I haven't seen a trunnion with the wrong threads cut in it, but that is
certainly a possibility as well.  "Far Eastern" suppliers typically only
have metric threads on their machine tools, and sometimes use an
approximation to the specified threads.

Randall