[TR] Fw: TR3A Grill Opening

Carl TR cfmtr3a at verizon.net
Tue Aug 25 22:09:16 MDT 2009

Last Sunday as a day of success...

 I created a 'jig' of sorts.  The apron is off the tub and I was not be able
 to mount it to fix it.  The apron was sitting on a metal sawhorse (at the
 cross support at the top); I stacked 2x4's under the front center (screwing
 each into the one below it) with a 2x4x43 on top of that fastening through
 the fender holes at each end.  That created a solid base for it to sit on.
 I then anchored it at the top by attaching 2x4s between the crossmember and
 the workbench.

 I also trimmed a 2x4x24 to match the contour of the top of the grill as the
 pressure piece.  I put a 30" piece of 1/2" conduit on the back side of the
 "lip" so that it wouldn't "crush".  It had enough flex for the curves which
 is good but it was a hassle to keep it in place.  I then placed a 2x12
under
 the scissor jack anchoring the wood platform at the back with a clamp.

 I spread the opening about 1 1/4" and then when I released it, it settled
in
 at the exact spot I needed (about 3/4").  The grill fits perfectly.

 I have some images if anyone is interested.

 Thanks to Tom Fansher, Tom Householder, & Hans de Ferrante...

 Oh,  I did take it to the tub (which isn't mounted on the chassis) and
 everything lined up like it should.

 Carl - Tampa
1961 TR3A TS81802LO
Body Off Restoration