[TR] Exhaust manifold paint and Pump prime

Wayne rengrave at verizon.net
Sat Aug 22 20:29:05 MDT 2009

I finished my engine assembly today.
When I say finished I mean everyrthing but the manifolds, oil pan, rocker
cover.
I received my bronze thrust washers today from Scott Helms, They look great,
the front one is standard thickness .092"
and the rear one I sanded down to .095" to get free play of .004" (the low end
of the recommended tolerance).
I gapped the rockers, all intakes @ .012", all exhausts @ .014 per the
instructions given my BPNW for the reground Piper 270 cam
I bought from them. I set the crank @ 112 degrees ATDC with the number 1
exhaust fully open.
This is the first time I have done an engine rebuild, I hope it starts.
When I took the engine apart 10 years ago,  I kept the carbs attached to the
manifold with all the linkage intack. This is so I hopefully
won't have to fuss with them when I bolt them on. I rebuilt them back then and
they were running fine.

A few questions:

What do I use for exhaust manifold paint? High heat silver paint? The stock
manifold is blasted and ready for something.

What do I use inside the oil pump for prime?  I had heard Vasaline? Will 30 wt
oil leak out by the time I get it into the car?
If I turn the engine over with no plugs won't the pump pick up the oil in the
pan without priming it?

Any pointers to rebuilding the brake master cylinder, I have the rebuild kit?
I read somewhere that the bore can be polished with
a 1" scotchbrite wheel on a dremel tool?

Thanks,

Wayne
73 TR6