[TR] Smells and wives

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Aug 22 08:01:42 MDT 2009

> What was the outcome of the recent e-discussion on gas smells?

I believe there were several conclusions; one being that excess smell is
frequently caused by leaks too small to drip.  Common locations on a TR3
include the bottom of the fuel tank, sediment bowl on the fuel pump, fuel
pump outlet fitting, fuel shutoff tap (on car so equipped) and of course the
carburetor float bowl mounts & jet gland.

Some have also reported an improvement by blocking off (or eliminating) the
original banjo tank vent, and substituting a small hole in the filler cap
instead.

Not reported, but helpful I believe is to let the engine cool outdoors
before storing the car in the garage.

The ultimate solution of course would be to add a charcoal canister as
George suggests.  Not terribly difficult, but I think it will be important
to also have a vapor separator in the fuel tank vent line.  The tank vent
can dump raw fuel in hard turns, which can contaminate the canister.  Later
Stags (possibly TR6 as well) used a vapor separator that I think would fit
in the space above the tank.

Randall