[TR] Replacement bolts

Karl Vacek kvacek at ameritech.net
Thu Aug 20 16:58:19 MDT 2009

Don't know if any are used on a TR3, but there are also lots of other
less-common sizes that are nonetheless standard too.  What you listed are
the UNF/SAE fine threads, but here are the common 1/4" threads for which I
have taps in my hand: 1/4-20 (UNC) 1/4-24 (USF), 1/4-28 (UNF/SAE), and
1/4-32 (UNEF).  I couldn't find one glancing through my unorganized tap
drawer without reading glasses, but I'd swear I have a 1/4-27 too.

In 5/16 I have 5/16-18 (UNC), 5/16-20 (USF), 5/16-24 (UNF/SAE), 5/16-27
(this one is also marked USF !!??), and 5/16-32 (UNEF).

I may not have found all of them - because I had no reading glasses with me
when I went to the garage to get them  ;-)  This pattern continues on up the
sizes - not to mention the special threads used by some diabolical designer
just because he could.  In larger sizes it's even more common to find other
(mostly fine) thread pitches.

Then there's Whitworth (coarse) and British Standard (fine).  All different
thread form (and 55 degree angle threads), different wrenches, etc.  And the
same wrench is called one size in Whitworth and the next size up in BSF...

Karl