[TR] Replacement bolts

Karl Vacek kvacek at ameritech.net
Thu Aug 20 15:31:43 MDT 2009

Last question first - yes, "Fine" varies by fastener size.  And there are
often several series of threads all called "Fine" (or "Extra Fine".  Gotta
know the nominal diameter and the thread count (per inch).

Many NAPA stores still have a decent selection, though that's diminishing as
consumer-chain auto parts stores eat them up.  Or try an industrial (mill)
supply outlet.  And there's also McMaster-Carr.

When you can't otherwise source a close-tolerance bolt or screw, try an
aircraft supply like Aircraft Spruce or Freeman's or a zillion others.
There are many An or MS (different vintages of military standards) fasteners
including shoulder bolts, and a number of different materials, strengths,
and finishes as well as a choice of drilled head, drilled shank, or
undrilled in many types.

Karl