[TR] mild cam

Irv Korey emanteno at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 15:53:21 MDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Gary Nafziger <nafzigerg at yahoo.com> wrote:

> an update on tr-6 overhauled with mild cam........from ted schumaker,
> Pandora.  Just heard from mechanic who knows tuning strombergs.  He stated
> the
> cam i have is to big to idle smoothly.  Can't get enough vacuum to idle
> smooth.  I have around 10 lbs. and need up towards 19.  He's saying no way
> get it to idle.  Power comes on smooth at around 2,000 rpm on up..
> anyway........maybe its just me.  I have to learn how to improve my driving
> skills .........taking off  from idle.  Just an update.......

Gary,

You don't go to an aftermarket cam so the car can idle nicely. You do it so
you can go ripping down the road. I don't know what you are trying to idle
at, but you should look to set it closer to 1000 rpm, deal with a bit of
lumpiness, and then FLOOR IT and enjoy.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U Isky Z-19 since 1985
Highland Park, IL