[TR] TR4/Webers - that banging noise- #2

gtwincams at gmail.com gtwincams at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 11:14:00 MDT 2009

Plastigage is what is typically used to check bearing shell clearances and requires no measuring device; the package includes printed bars that are compared to the squashed platigage. Comes in two size ranges - red and green to denote.
I've built about ten engines now  and always use Plastigage to check machine shops work after crank grinding or polishing. A mic can be used to check wrist pins and a bore guage to check the wrist pin bushing, but the machine shop can do this well, as they should always do when fitting new bushings.
Cheers,
Greg Tatarian
Lotus Elan S4
TR6