[TR] Master Cylinder help part II - PDWA

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Thu Apr 30 18:05:03 MDT 2009

In a message dated 4/30/2009 1:49:05 PM Central Daylight Time,
tr3driver at ca.rr.com writes:
> >When you consider that the cars predating the PDWA don't have an oil
> >failure light (or switch) would lead me to think that the lamp test was
> >the prime
> >motivator for their inclusion.
>
> That's an interesting point, kind of.  Is the Stag the only Triumph with a
> PDWA and no oil pressure gauge?  Certainly the Herald and Vitesse/Sports 6
> had an oil pressure light (and no gauge), but I don't know if they were
> ever
> fitted with a PDWA.  And I don't know anything about the Dolomite, except
> it
> probably never got a PDWA (since AFAIK never officially imported to the
> US).

Pre-PDWA the Oil Pressure Gauge and Oil Pressure Light were alternatives to
each other.  The same was true for domestic cars.  Putting both on seems
redundant except for the fact that it was a convenient lamp test feature.

Comparing the TR6 to a Herald is not apropo.  They were aimed at different
markets.  But comparing the TR6 to a TR4 is apropo since on is the successor
to the other.

As for cars with no oil pressure gauge, throw the wedges in there.  They
had no gauge (although many are so fitted these days).

At least that is my speculation on the topic.  ;-)

Dave