[TR] Master Cylinder help part II - PDWA

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Thu Apr 30 11:36:50 MDT 2009

In a message dated 4/30/2009 11:17:56 AM Central Daylight Time,
tr3driver at ca.rr.com writes:
> I believe the same US regulation that required the warning light also
> required a "bulb test" function.  Triumph chose to implement the bulb test
> by wiring the brake light in series with the oil light, so that both would
> come on at partial brightness when the oil pressure switch was closed.
> This
> has the curious side effect of disabling the oil warning light if the PDWA
> is activated; and making it only half-bright even when not disabled.

When you consider that the cars predating the PDWA don't have an oil
failure light (or switch) would lead me to think that the lamp test was the prime
motivator for their inclusion.  They could have used the oil pressure switch
to light the Brake warning light alone but I guess they thought that since
they could add the oil light for very little money at this point they
uncharacteristically tossed it in.

Dave