[TR] XK8's?

Dombey, John R. JOHN.R.DOMBEY at saic.com
Wed Apr 29 14:21:25 MDT 2009

Bill,

I don't have an XK8, but I do have an XJ8, which shares a lot of the
mechanical bits.  We  bought the car just as it turned over 20,000
miles, and it now has 115,000 miles on it.  It's basically been
bulletproof (I know I shouldn't say such things...) with just routine
maintenance.  That being said, routine maintenance at the dealership
tends to be $1K per visit (for what they term a 'major' service).  I do
my own oil and brakes.

BTW, I've heard that 2000 and later years are preferable engine-wise -
the earlier engines had Nikasil coatings for the cylinder bores
(remember the Vega?) and the later versions had cast iron sleeves.  That
being said, mine is a '99, and there have been no issues.  Regular oil
changes are said to be critical for this, so a service history would be
a Good Thing to have.

As always, just my $.02,

John
'69 TR6