[TR] Master Cylinder help part II

jimmuller at rcn.com jimmuller at rcn.com
Wed Apr 29 10:04:19 MDT 2009

Bob Rochlin wrote:
> I now am guessing that what happened was that the one of
> the brake circuits failed, the light didn't work and when
> the second circuit failed I was left with no brakes.  What
> is startling to me is that the brakes felt absolutely fine,
> solid pedal, good braking...until the they failed.

Most likely the rear brakes failed first.  You wouldn't have noticed because they generally don't do much except in a panic stop.

Sometimes you can tell if the rear brakes have failed by how they behave or feel with the handbrake on (or almost on) compared to off.  It depends on how tight they are adjusted of course.  If the pedal develops backpressure feel or starts applying small drag at the same pedal position regardless of the handbrake position, it suggests your rear brakes aren't doing anything.  If you feel the difference in the pedal when the handbrake is changed, then the rear brakes are least doing something.

Jim Muller