[TR] TR3A valve adjustment

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Apr 27 13:00:28 MDT 2009

> I have rebushed my rockers, replaced push rods, and replaced
> adjusters and jam nuts.

You didn't mention refacing the rockers, or stems, or replacing the shaft.

> I have a BPNW 270  cam in this motor and it
> calls for .12 int and .14 exh.

With those numbers, a certain amount of noise is to be expected.  This is
one of the tradeoffs for 'performance' cams.

>  I started it first time and
> drove maybe 20 miles and the valves became noisy so I waited
> overnight and checked and they were .001 + wide.

With any worn components at all, some variation in measurement is normal,
IMO.  For only .001" or even .002" off, I wouldn't even bother re-adjusting.
Wait to see if it gets worse.

One question would be how you are positioning the cam to check the valve
clearance.  If your reground cam doesn't have the base circle perfectly
concentric, you may get different clearance readings depending on just what
position the cam is turned to.

> I am tightening the jam nuts with a 1/2" box wrench and not
> putting a  lot of muscle on them.

That should be fine.  Torque should be around 12-14 ft lbs, which isn't
much.  Were they still tight when you readjusted the valves?

Randall