[TR] TR 3A Oil breather tube

MMoore8425 at aol.com MMoore8425 at aol.com
Sat Apr 18 20:11:43 MDT 2009

In a message dated 4/18/2009 5:45:05 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
DLylis at aol.com writes:

After I  rebuilt my motor I posted that I was getting oil out of the
breather  tube when parked in the garage, and while driving based upon what
I see
on the underside.  Because I had newly rebuilt I wrote it off to blow  by
and waited until the motor broke in.
Well, I now have 178 -  181 compression readings and nice  cardboard brown
plugs and she runs  very well. . .  and the oil still drips  from the
breather
tube.  I have an aftermarket alloy valve cover and I have  over  drilled
the
vent hole in the cap and on the underside of the cap, and  don't  lay on
the
cap when I screw it on.  Still. . .
So I  checked my oil level and removed the new felt on the dipstick that
was
about four times thicker than the one that came off and filled the oil to
the  3/4 mark with the new dipstick position.  Still. .  .
Comments?

My freshly rebuilt engine with a cast valve cover blew oil all over the
place, It really needs that breather cap on top . I replaced my alloy cover
with  a factory cover and my problems went away. I gave the cover to a friend
, a  machinist, and he added a great big vent and uses it.
Mike Moore