[TR] Paint

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Fri Apr 17 06:05:53 MDT 2009

On Friday 17 April 2009 02:16:10 John Summers wrote:
> Who better to ask than Triumph owners!  What should I expect - within
> reason - to pay to have my TR6 repainted and repair a little rust?  I
> stopped by a custom restoration place a couple weeks ago and chatted with
> the owner explaining what I was looking for.  Not Maaco or Earle Scheibe
> but not his best paint job either.(he has an old Ford Coupe they restored
> and the paint is red - perfect for $55k)  Told him maybe he could point me
> in the right direction. I'll ask you guys.  I don't much care about where
> the sun don't shine but where it does I'm thinking of changing from
> Frenchblue to a dark blue. John Summers
> Jacksonville, Fl
> '74 TR6
John,

Cant give you a $ figure but just the paint these days is very expensive.

Currently the paint I am going to use on my 6 project goes for over 350 a
gallon. And then you add in the primer, hardener etc and the cost for just
the supplies approaches 500 bucks!

For a good body shop to do rust repair the correct way may require them to cut
off the rust and weld in new metal and finish with lead. That is also labor
intensive.

Most restoration shops are charging anywhere from 45 to 65 $ an hour.

I know my paint job will not stack up against a professional but I am not in
the concours business.

And what is wrong with French Blue? French Blue is my choice for my 6 project.
I think the color will look real nice next to my Pale Yellow 58 3 and my Spa
White 63 4!

Bob