[TR] TR4A Interior ?

Andrew Mace zoboherald at aol.com
Thu Apr 16 12:20:35 MDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: John Macartney <standardtriumph at btinternet.com>

With the very greatest respect to whoever compiled the Concours Guide, I regret to say they are in
error. While the information was never made *generally public knowledge* it was possible for a
customer to:?

1. Specify any upholstery colour in the Standard-Triumph range for any model of car made by the
company - even if that colour did not appear in the colour charts. Consequently Dark Green and Tan
were other colours that could be specified for the TR4A.?

2. Specify non-standard combinations of standard colours that appeared in the colour charts.

==AM==
John, I've heard this from you and a number of other sources over the years, and I've no reason to doubt it. However, I suspect it was something that wasn't widely publicized throughout the US distributor/dealer network, either! Fact is, in the mid-1960s, paint color choices on Triumphs sold in the US were generally limited to white, Signal Red, Black, Wedgwood Blue and Conifer (a.k.a. Triumph Racing) Green; interiors were usually limited to black, Matador Red and Midnight Blue. Maybe that was a Leyland-Triumph "economy of production" thing for exports?

One notable exception, oddly, was the "Sports" (nee Herald) 1200 convertible. Towards the end of their run here (say, 1966-67), Triumph seemed to sell quite a few with Conifer Green paint and Cactus Green interiors!
?

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph Herald engine with wings.

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph Register: http://www.vtr.org

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald Database: http://triumph-herald.us?