[TR] Spit fuel tank puzzle

Jim Holmgren Jim.Holmgren at corp.aol.com
Thu Apr 16 08:13:43 MDT 2009

Have you considered taking the existing tank to a local radiator shop to be
cleaned and checked?  It could cost you a whole lot less money and you are
going to be pulling it out either way?  My understanding is that most 'local'
radiator shops are quite reasonable cost-wise for cleaning/testing a tank.

Just a thought from someone currently replacing the tank on his '75 Spit.
Mine has a broken weld and subsequently leaks pretty badly, not worth
repairing to me, so I am getting a good used and cleaned/tested tank from Ted
Schumacher.

> I've just about decided to replace the fuel  tank in my 1980
> Spitfire, and I am seeking advice on whether to go with the VB one or
> an aluminum one (about $75 more) on  eBay (description below).  Has
> anyone had any experience with either.  For example, I found that I
> had to do a fair amount of grinding of flanges to get the VB TR6 tank
> to fit last year.

Jim
NASS #302
NASS Club Secretary
'75 Spitfire 1500 w/OD
www.littlebluespitfire.com
York, PA

The information transmitted in this email is intended only for the person(s)
or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
email in error, please contact the sender and permanently delete the email
from any computer.