[TR] Spit fuel tank puzzle

Tim Gaines mtgaines at mail.presby.edu
Thu Apr 16 07:12:14 MDT 2009

I've just about decided to replace the fuel  tank in my 1980
Spitfire, and I am seeking advice on whether to go with the VB one or
an aluminum one (about $75 more) on  eBay (description below).  Has
anyone had any experience with either.  For example, I found that I
had to do a fair amount of grinding of flanges to get the VB TR6 tank
to fit last year.

YOU CAN CONTACT ME AT: JORGECERVERA218 at LIVE.COM OR AT: (619)277-8467
or  (619)948-6972 or (562)867-0576
SPECIAL PRICE OFFER WHILE CURRENT STOCK LASTS! OUR TANK WILL FIT ALL
THE SPITFIRE MODELS, BECAUSE WE INSTALLED 2 PICK-UP NIPPLES, ONE ON
TOP AND ONE ON THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK AND WE ALSO SUPPLY A BRASS PLUG
WITH A NYLON GASKET TO CANCEL THE NIPPLE NOT USED... IF YOU NEED THIS
ESSENTIAL PART TO COMPLETE YOUR RESTORATION, I SUGGEST YOU BUY NOW,
WHILE THE PRICES ARE STILL REASONABLE.... OUR REGULAR PRICE IS $750 +
S&H + INS... WE ARE THE ONLY MANUFACTURERS FOR THESE FUEL TANKS...

Part of my motivation in making the change is that after 20 years
with this car I am finally ready to learn why I have never been able
to get more than 7 gallons of gas in it, even when I have run it dry.
The fuel gauge reads about 2/3 when it is "full," and I have
overflowed it trying to force more in on occasion.  Anybody
experienced this before?

Thanks for any advice.

Tim Gaines
Clinton, SC