[TR] TR Toolbox

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Apr 12 22:20:52 MDT 2009

> For tools I would think:
> 2 quarts of oil, 2 gallons of water, 3/16-5/8 comb wrench,
> hammer, jack, crank, visegrips, electrical tape, safety wire.

My feeling is that oil and water are fairly easy to come by, so I only carry
one of each.  My combination wrenches are GearWrenches.  Don't usually
bother with a hammer or crank (unless you mean the handle for the jack).
Duct tape instead of electrical tape (it will insulate in a pinch).

Other tools:
. "Pocket" DMM, plus 2 clip leads
. SU Tool kit
. Set of Whitworth open end wrenches
. Screwdrivers; large, small and stubby; flat and Phillips.  Make sure one
of them will fit the dizzy cap terminals.
. Combination tool with feeler gauges and spark plug gauges, plus tool for
adjusting spark plugs.
. "Gas" pliers
. Chain-nose pliers
. Small Diagonal cutters ("dikes")
. Contact burnishing tool
. Two flashlights (smaller one in door pocket, larger one in tool box).
Nothing more aggravating than to find out the light doesn't work, on a dark
road somewhere.
. "Tinker" model Swiss Army knife (I carry this in my pocket all the time).
. Small 3-corner file, with one end ground to a 3-sided point so it doubles
as a scribe and awl.
. Lug wrench
. Tool to remove hubcaps (I had TR3 hubcaps mounted on TR6 wheels, took a
custom tool to get them off).
. Tool to remove and install headlight trim rings
. Don't forget the T-handle.

> For spares maybe:
> Hoses, clamps, fan belt, fuses.

. Brake fluid
. Assortment of plastic tie wraps
. Facet-type electric fuel pump, plus fittings and 2-3' of fuel line.
. Set of new spark plugs
. For longer trips, a distributor loaded with points, condenser, rotor, cap,
wires. (In the middle of the spare tire along with the belts, pump, etc.)
. Few misc bolts, washers, nuts.
. 1 or 2 of tail/stop & turn signal bulbs.
. Small tube of grease
. Cheap blanket

> All this along with some common sense and a prayerbook?

Nah, AAA card & cell phone!

Randall