[TR] Fw: [6pack] Karmann declares bankruptcy

Wayne Lee wayne at motorcarriage.com
Thu Apr 9 14:55:04 MDT 2009

    I'd disagree on the Earlier Head and Manifolds being better, It's my
 understanding the later Heads flow better. The only bad thing about the
post 74 Exhaust
 Manifold is the EGR injectors pissing in the wind. A late Head is basically
the P/I Head
 cast thicker to allow for deeper Combustion Chambers knocking the
compression down to 7:75 to 1 or
 whatever. This is easily overcome by machining the Head to the desired C/R.
Most
 believe the Circle B  and Diamond W Head Castings are the best starting
point for a modified
 Engine. Of course this makes the late Intake Manifold needed if you stay
with 2 CV Carbs.Which is said to flow better
I think the older Carbs are better too.
 . The only other differences is if someone wants to change the Cam. I
 used a 74 Exhaust Manifold, plugged the Emissions Pipe Port on the Intake,
Changed the
 Stromberg's with SU's w/K&N's and put in a Pertronix, and it had the ANSA
Dual Exhaust when I got it. No
 Rocket Ship but she goes sweet, and gets 24 mpg on the Country Roads I
bring her to work
 daily on. I kept the C/R stock when I had the Head off. 87 Octane agrees
with her fine @ 10 degrees BTDC Timing.
 Cheers,
 Wayne Lee
 64 TR4