[TR] Garage Mirage Part 2

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Apr 6 19:11:51 MDT 2009

> On
> top of it, after the alternator conversion last year, the ammeter was
> useless.

JIC you missed the previous discussion, Terry, there is a trivial way to fix
that.  I ran the original ammeter indicating the charge from my 65 amp Ford
alternator for upwards of 15 years, and it worked great for me.

In a nutshell, you add a length of wire to 'short' the ammeter, so it only
reads a percentage of the actual current.  I made mine read roughly 60 amps
full scale instead of 30.  Lacking another ammeter capable of indicating
that much current, I used the headlight current draw as a reference,
adjusting my "short" until the ammeter reading was about half the value
without the short.

Contrary to what some have said, the original wires in my TR3A were able to
handle a 60 amp alternator.  In fact, they were larger than my Chevy had in
the same circuit for it's "heavy duty" alternator.

Randall