[TR] Garage Mirage Part III

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Mon Apr 6 16:33:47 MDT 2009

9.B  Had mounted a modern radio under the dash in front of the gearshift.B
All the dirt and leaves that had been getting into the car had ruined my first
radio, so I built a white plastic housing for the replacement which looked
like hell.B  Pulled the radio, and the speakers too, which I had built into an
oak plywood base that went under the back jump seat.B  I don't think I'm going
to miss it, but if I do I'll monitor to see if the dirt from the wheel wells
has dried up.B

10.B  The speedometer had never run right since Mo-Ma.B  Not their fault, I
suspect.B  I pulled the speedometer cable, greased it liberally, and
reinstalled it with very few sharp turns.B  Am hoping to get a steady
needle.B

11.B  Removed my wire wheels.B  Cleaned with engine degreaser and a wire
toothbrush, took to a PowerWash, and high pressure cleaned and rinsed.B
Painted with DupliColor silver wheel paint.B  These wheels really need a
sandblasting, but that is something for next year, when I can buy an air
compressor and sandblasting stuff for this new garage, after, of course,
getting electricity into it.

12.B  Removed the wheel bearings and packed with good grease.

13.B  Had finished last season with a engine that wouldn't return to idle as
it should.B  Springs on the linkages were tight, though.B  Removed the
chambers and piston assemblies, cleaned the gook from them, and they then
operated smoothly, which they hadn't been.B  Suspect this is the culpret, but
will see soon enough.B

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A

New HampshireB  (I cannot wait for inspection on Wednesday, and a season of
driving in an essentially "new" car!!!!!!!)