[TR] TR4/4A bonnet stiffener brace.

Anthony Rhodes spamiam at comcast.net
Sun Apr 5 16:38:03 MDT 2009

Today one of the guys in the car club was pointing to an interference point
between his hood and his TR4A radiator.  The left corner (as seen from the
cockpit) was striking the bonnet stiffener brace right at the little dog leg
bend.

We compared this to my TR4A, and after a rather long while we realized that
the alignment of the 2 stiffener braces was different.  At the back of the
bonnet they both started at the same location, but mine proceeded slightly
diagonally and ended between the first and second circular cut-outs on the
horizontal bar near the front of the bonnet.

His was oriented less diagonally and ended between the second and third holes.
As far as we could tell, it was "original".  The spot welds look original and
there is no extra welding.

This is a "replacement" bonnet after the original one was rather bent after a
collision a few years ago.  Could this replacement be from a TR4, maybe an
early one, that used the TR3 radiator which might be slightly narrower than
the 4A type?  I have never noticed a difference in the location of the
longitudinal stiffener brace, but maybe it was changed over the years of
production?!

-Tony