[TR] TRF club...........Moss deals

MMoore8425 at aol.com MMoore8425 at aol.com
Tue Sep 30 09:10:01 MDT 2008

In a message dated 9/30/2008 6:22:28 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
pethier at comcast.net writes:

> For  this project I have made a spreadsheet with the part I need, TRF part
#
> and price, Moss part # and price, VB part # and price and other part  and
> price for those parts that the big 3 dont have  available.

When I was bringing the Europa back from the dead in 1991 I  did this.  It is
amazing how much this helps.  The three pieces of  advice I have for anyone
rehabbing or restoring a car:

1.  Excel.

2. Camera.

3. Baggies.  Include paper note  explaining what the part is.

--

I have restored my TR3 twice now in 45 years of ownership. I've also
restored several other cars including two E Type Roadsters. Most of the other  cars

1. $250 starter motor was defective. Discovered 18  months  after purchase
and warranty was useless.
2. Numerous parts were incorrect, and non-returnable.Probably $1000  worth.
3. Storage of parts and ability to determine where they are  was a  problem.

Although shipping cost is a pain, I try to buy out of state. If you can get
a 20% discount from an out of state store, and avoid the 7% you'd pay in state
 sales tax, then that's a nice discount.
Also, for me, quality is the top issue as it is lacking in general in
aftermarket off-shore built parts.
My philosophy now is to look ahead and see what I'm going to need for the
next major task, decide who I'll but it from, and order it. I thoroughly check
everything when it comes in IF POSSIBLE.
I bought a horn contact switch kit for the E Type for $85. I didn't put it  I
immediately because it was complicated with lots of little pieces and I
wasn't  ready to install it.It was pure junk.parts didn't fit, springs didn't
"spring"  etc. I still have that $85 kit (non-returnable) and am ashamed  to sell
it on. I have thought of putting some of these parts on ebay, just  so I can
show pictures and describe how awful they are and where they came  from.My
lawyers says no.
Best, Mike Moore