[TR] TR3A Front cowl letter placement

Andrew Mace zoboherald at aol.com
Mon Sep 29 12:34:37 MDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: THOMAS FANSHER <tfansher at comcast.net>

I'm TS76120L  it's not the original cowl but one that was obtained from
the
dealer about 1973 or 74.  The original letters were used in the new
cowl, I
don't know if they were predrilled or not ,, too long ago.B

==AM==
With the cars then over 10 years out of production, I would assume that
any factory replacement aprons would NOT have been predrilled. But that
late a car I think I'd expect to have smooth letters from new.

Meanwhile, Randall noted: "Bill Piggott gives the change point as
'approximately' TS72000."

And that seems plausible. Unfortunately, the one TR3A I still have
can't be used to judge. TS73624L -- built 4/15/60 -- had a "nondrilled"
replacement front apron (and subsequent additional damage to it and the
right fender, all nicely brazed together and "Bondo'd" over) by the
time I got it around 1973 or 1974!

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>