[TR] Curious occurrence

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Sun Sep 28 09:27:12 MDT 2008

David Brister wrote:
> Some time ago I obtained a TR4A ignition kit at a good price from a dealer
> in the states. It consisted of a set of plugs and leads, points, condenser
> and distributor cap.
> A couple of days ago I fitted these bits in the course of a routine service.
> The car simply would'nt start.
> So I concluded the points were faulty but could'nt find anything wrong with
> them. The dimensions were the same and all the insulation held up where it
> should. I refiitted them to the car taking great care and again the engine
> would'nt start showing the same problem. Once again I put the old ones in
> and all was well.
> Has anyone any ideas about this curious occurrence?
>
> David Brister,

Hi, David.  You don't mention whether  you got a new rotor cap with it.  Rotor caps are notoriously unreliable for these cars.  An old rotor cap may not match up with a new distributor cap, etc.  When you swapped out the points and got the car running, did you change anything else that might be the real culprit?  Condensors can also be bad from the factory.
Have fun!

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire