[TR] TR3A Fuel Gauge Calibration; follow-up

David Willett and Carol Gray willgray at vaxxine.com
Thu Sep 25 14:53:21 MDT 2008

A thank you to everyone who contributed thoughts to solving my fuel
gauge calibration problem: I checked the gauge calibration by the
"MGA with an Attitude" procedure using 100 ohm resistors, and it
checked out just fine: I checked the sender unit , and that was OK: I
checked the wiring connections and they seemed to be OK. Still no
reading.
  Then staring at the photo which accompanies the description of the
"MGAwaA" procedure, I realized that one of the connections used the
body of the gauge as a ground.  No specific ground connection for the
gauge is shown in any of the wiring diagrams, evidently relying on
contact of the gauge with the instrument panel. Wrong! As soon as I
ran a ground wire to the gauge it worked like a charm.  I celebrated
by going out and putting $20 of gas in the tank just to see the gauge
go up. But not by much!!

  Dave