[TR] (no subject)

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Sep 24 11:44:22 MDT 2008

> I have a 75 TR6 and it has needed a manifold gasket for years. The engine
> ticks.

Seems likely to me that the ticking is something besides a failed gasket,
then.  Leaking intake manifold gaskets hiss rather than tick; and leaking
exhaust manifold gaskets generally get worse rather quickly.  If it's been
the same for years of daily driving, it must be some other problem.

> First, what other gaskets should I be replacing?

Gaskets don't generally "wear out", so there's no reason to replace them
unless you disturb the joint for some other reason.  I'm not intimately
familiar with a 75 TR6, but I would guess that you would only need to
disturb the head pipe gasket and possibly some hoses (which I would also
replace) in order to replace a manifold gasket.  The studs, nuts and
lockwashers for the head pipe joint will likely also need to be replaced;
and maybe even a HeliCoil where the studs go into the manifold.

> and what if any damage is being done

If it is an exhaust leak, it may be ruining the manifold surface or the head
surface where the leak is.  Under power, those gases can act like a cutting
torch.  Leaks at that joint can also upset the mixture for that cylinder,
which may lead to a burnt exhaust valve.

> considering that the carbs, manifold, etc. have to come off to replace,

If it was a TR3A, I'd leave the carbs attached to the intake manifold.  That
doesn't make the job trivial, but easier.  Not sure if that applies to the
TR6 though.

> Hate to mess with what ain't broke.

Me too, but exhaust leaks can do a LOT of damage if left unattended.  I'd
want to make certain it is an exhaust leak first; and get it fixed if it is.

Randall