[TR] Could a steel shim head gasket be the answer to blowing head gaskets

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Sep 22 20:49:51 MDT 2008

> Still having problems with my TR3 and blowing head gaskets

How's your liner protrusion ?  Preferably checked in 4 different places for
each liner.  On my TR3 motor that ate head gaskets, the liner tops proved to
not be parallel to the top of the block.  So the protrusion checked fine on
the side I always checked, even though it was nearly non-existent on the
other side.

Can you spin a new nut easily all the way down the head stud threads (all 10
of them) ?

Had the calibration of your torque wrench checked ?

Using proper (hardened) flat washers between head nuts and head ?

Both head and block deck flat ?

> and he suggested that was pretty high and could be a problem.

Once again, the reading on the gauge means relatively little, except when
compared to other readings taken with the same gauge.  But I've built
engines that produced between 190 and 200 psi, and didn't blow a stock
gasket.

> So the thought came to me that maybe one of the Moss Steel
> Shim head gaskets could be an answer. I understand they were
> originally used to lower the compression ratio in countries
> with lower octane gas.

They were found in the compression lowering kit, but it also included a
spacer and a regular head gasket.  Used alone, they actually raise
compression ratio.

If you do want to lower the compression ratio (which will reduce maximum
power, maximum torque, and fuel mileage); a better way IMO is to modify the
combustion chambers per Kas Kastner's Competition Preparation guide.

Randall